Generally, African Violets will grow anywhere from 2” to 6” tall and 2” to 12” wide. Required fields are marked *. African violets are one of the hardest plants to grow. Remove dust from leaves using a small, soft brush and brush in the direction the hairs are growing. Thanks! The lights were kept on for 12 hours per day. The excess foliage can lead to the problem you describe or, is simply, older and less attractive. When an African violet is young, you can prolong its beauty by giving it African violet food, keeping its … I can forward a photo if needed, Would need to see this. Finally, you will notice it will stop growing like mine and all you have are leaves and no flower. Many African Violet owners don’t let their plant dry out enough between each watering. The ‘axil’ is the point on the stem/trunk of the plant where the leaf stem (petiole) is attached. Too much direct, hot sunlight can cause leaves to brown and curl under. For an African violet, the new leaves grow in the crown, the oldest leaves are in the lowest row. I feel sorry for throwing away the healthy leaves and found ways how to make the most of them. I am very impressed with the care that these plants received during packing and shipment. Plants are fresh and vigorous in appearance. I have several plants that are producing too many small leaves at the crown and they do not get any bigger. Moreover, if the cold is too long, it will make the leaves become brittle and will curl under.Â. Today I will be sharing with you what I have learned. It means that violets have tightly bunched up next to each other with no space in between the leaves. I have watered them and am wick feeding them. This is why my African violet has many leaves and no flowers because there are many crowns. Answer:  Yes.  Most (non trailing) varieties only need to have 3 or 4 rows of leaves since blooms are produced only from those leaves.  This means a total of no more than a dozen or so leaves.  Some larger plants grown for exhibition may have more but, even then, not as many as you might think.  Their large size is due more to the size of the leaves rather than the number of them.  For some varieties, especially those with very wavy, girl, or ruffled leaves, removing excess foliage is even more important.  If out leaves are never removed on these varieties, new growth becomes very crowded in the center as there becomes no place for it to grow, and the leaves that are produced can be distorted or misshapen.  Further, bloom stalks that are produced have a hard time finding their way up through the foliage. You didn’t kill your violet but, if you removed or damaged the growing point in the center, it will set it back. After successfully identifying the reason for the tight crown, I found these easy steps on how to fix or treat it. Most of them dont live past the first falling leafs so dont feel too bad about that. I created this blog to share what I learned to help others to take care of their plant babies better. After planting each in its own pot, remove suckers as they appear, so you don’t have to divide again in the future. But more specifically fertilizer burning or scorching. I got extremely curious because when I bought mine, it has a violet flower and the other one has white. Is this due to a lack of light? If it’s not fresh and/or healthy, remove it. I wish you all the best and please share this to help others. - We grow all that we sell Soil and water easy steps. Can I add potting soil to raise the dirt level? We specialize in unusual varieties with superior blooming and growth habit. Thank you for any help! I just bought an AV from the local garden store and since we don’t have the kind of luxury of imported african violet … This means a total of no more than a dozen or so leaves. You can also give your plants a bath in the sink by using a gently spray and warm water. If you look at the top of you African violet and it looks tangled and has many centers or hard to identify the center it means it is a tight crown.Â. thanks for the newsletter! These are called suckers and they are the reason why the African violet does not bloom too.Â. Marjie. African violets: Propagation by Blossom stems, Kohleria (and rhizomatous plants): Propagation, Grooming, Repotting, Episcias: Lovely Plants with Lovely Leaves. [1] Another reason this could happen is that there are too many leaves on the violet. Never grow one in a terra cotta pot. An east- or west-facing window for … And this is one of the main reasons why a tight crown occurs in African violets. - Service. Besides, if you follow the proper way to take care of them and force them to bloom you will see the flowers bloom in 1 year. I made a blog post here on how to do it. I started new violet plants by rooting a leaf in a pot. It is exciting to see tiny leaves pop up from a leaf and eventually bloom for the first time! A newbie planter who loves to share what she learned from planting to help fellow newbies in the plant world. Over time, this will create a stalk. African violets curl their leaves when something isn’t to their liking. Or pores get clogged - I guess depends on the minerals in your water - water is in a container - but the plant is bone dry. End of story! I have more things to learn about African violet and it is very hard to keep up. Mother and offspring are thriving and blooming beautifully. If a plant is growing and healthy, but not blooming, usually this means it needs more light. During the heating season, leaves tend to get dusty. Sign up from any of our shopping cart pages. This is why my African violet has many leaves and no flowers because there are many crowns. Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned grower, African Violets are a joy to work with and look at. I removed a dry leave from the crown of my African Violet and I have noticed there is no other leaf being formed. African violet leaf curl may be caused by too much sun. Would need to know the varieties in question as well as information on care and environment. Too much or too little water also causes curling. Another reason for curling leaves is the presence of mites on the plant, but it can also be inadequate light. If drawn to the rim of a clay pot the violet leaves get damaged. For an African violet, the new leaves grow in the crown, the oldest leaves are in the lowest row. Should I remove fading leaves from my African Violet? Blooms will appear only from the first (youngest) three rows of leaves, so significantly more leaves than this aren’t really necessary. African violets can be purchased in spring at many grocery stores and garden centers, as well as year-round on the Internet. Should I remove the leave which was used to start the planT/. You can send, with photo, to our general email: comments@violetbarn.com. When an African Violet gets too much water the leaves will often retain some of the excess water in the leaves. Thanks for professionalism. - Plants for collector & hobbyist! The most common way to grow new African violets is to propagate them from the leaves of existing plants. Things You'll Need. “Finally, be certain to remove leaves being produced from the axils between existing leaves–these are suckers!”. If not, you will need to lower the plant and repot–see our lesson on this. Pruning will also encourage new growth. African violet … They do not appear to be suckers. just not sure. Do African Violets require humidity if so, what is the most effective way? I am a rank amateur, but I propagated 6 of my violets from leaves of the mother plant that is 7 years old. Dust dirt off the leaves with a small, soft brush. I asked each child to give me one small plant for my birthday. Hi Kevin! I have passed on my very favorable impression of your company to my other friends and family who enjoy indoor plants.  October 10, 2020. Leaves are susceptible to rot if kept in high humidity, so water African violets from the bottom to avoid getting excess water on the leaves. Thanks. It won’t hurt if you leave a nub, but there’s no benefit to it and it can be unattractive. Yes, we continue to ship! Moreover, I was wondering about this and I found this reason why.Â, The reason why African violet leaf curls up is because of a cold environment. I have a long recovery ahead and I still have minimal strength, but caring for my violets is something I can do and it makes me so happy. Your explanation of what and where a “sucker” is just completely cleared it up for me. African violet suckers are baby plants that outgrow from the stem of the mother plant. Subscribe to our e-newsletter, "VioletsFun" Your suspicion is correct. There could be many reasons, but not likely lack of light. Several factors cause a tight crown for an African violet, but after an entire day of research, I found out mine was the cause of too much indirect sunlight. Always remove leaves from the “bottom, up” (older, outer, leaves first). Thank God, it is easy to fix, you have to move the plants into a spot with low indirect sunlight or light such as a window with a sheer curtain or put it in a lower rack/shelf. ... it will just put too much stress on the plant in the long run, meaning less blooms and less healthy leaves. Also, this occurs when the African violet has many small crowns with a tight center. Too much sunlight can also cause the leaves to curl down and may turn variegated leaves entirely green. Extremely helpful. You answered so many questions for me with the violets I got from my grandkids. Best to remove/cut leaves as far down as possible–not leaving a “nub” behind. Over-fertilizing could also cause your African violet to droop its leaves. However, I would suggest taking 3-5 from each plant. I know it will need re-potted, but I just got the plant in May and I am thinking I need to wait until it’s been a year. I’m a newbie planter who loves searching for plant matters and issues. Make sure your plant is within a temperature of approximately 70°F (21°C), though they will stand temperatures as low as 60°F (15°C). I found out that my case is a tight crown. Thank you, Violet Barn, for the meticulously packed order I received today. Why my African violet does have many leaves? Before repotting, it is recommended to water deeply—until water runs out the bottom of the pot—and empty the saucer after … My question is: should I ever prune crown leaves? This is where suckers, or flower buds, first appear. I received my violets today and I could not be more pleased. 12. There are three different basic types of African violet that I know of. How far down the stem do you cut the leaf off. There are actually six plants in the pot. I found out that the African violets curl down because of too much direct, hot sunlight or high indirect sunlight.Â. They were really well wrapped and arrived in great condition. From Missy, in MO The flowers come in a few different types as well as the leaves can be of several different types, too. They are all doing well within a week. Because this is my favorite aspect of our hobby, I’ve had a lot of practice to show you to grow an African violet from a leaf. photography by: Simply Living NC. African Violet leaves crowding and growing closer together. I suspect your answer might be that I should prune more leaves from the bottom and let the plants relax to relieve crowding. Many times, the presence of unusual colors on your African Violet leaves is completely reversible. (It is okay to get African violet leaves wet as long as the water isn’t too cold, contrary to popular belief.) You may pick up your order at our shop. African violets should be planted in a well-draining soil mix and water right at the soil. Too much sunlight will produce brown spots on the leaves and flowers - essentially giving the African Violet a sunburn. If you have room in the pot, you can add soil to the top to cover the stalk. Symptoms of tight crowns due to excessive heat in African Violet plants are tight centers and bunched up smaller leaves at center of plant.
2020 african violet too many leaves