Cut into six 6-inch squares. Start at one side and roll. Spread 1/2 pound softened butter over dough, then sprinkle 1 1/2 cups sugar over butter. Put the roll in a buttered piedish, sprinkle with sugar, and dot pieces of butter on top of the roll. The joke among Scandinavians is that the Morton Salt container that they got when they were blushing brides, was still “half full” upon the farm woman’s death! sugar-cinnamon mixture. The roll can be cut into slices, and served hot or cold with the syrup drizzled around the slices. Place the rolls in greased pans. I can of course add cinnamon. Place an apple in the center of each square; fill center with approximately 1 1/2 Tbsp. I recently found a lovely hundred-year-old recipe for Baked Apple Roll; however, it has one quirky characteristic. Bake for 30 minutes, or until pastry is golden and apples are tender. This recipe goes well for dinner with a roast of pork. 1 tablespoon butter (softened) + 1/4 cup butter, 3 cups chopped apples (about 2-3 large apples) (peel and core before chopping). Thank you! Nutmeg? Add cinnamon and half of sugar to chopped apples and spread evenly over dough. Roll in thin sheet, cut in six rounds large enough to … Cinnamon, cinnamon, cinnamon!! Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. But Cinnamon? Step back in time with this old fashioned fresh apple cake recipe. She replied, “They weren’t bland; the flavors were delicate.”. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together, add … pan with waxed paper, and grease and flour the paper. As far as pastry was concerned, PIES were baked in Summer when produce was free (wild crafting) or grown and CAKES/SWEET ROLLS/COOKIES were Fall/Winter treats, along with canned peaches and applesauce. . Prepare the Filling: Preheat oven to 425°F with oven rack in lowest position. Please leave a comment below, and let me know how you liked it. The Apple Old Fashioned is a twist on the classic Old Fashioned. I also like many of the old-time apples: McIntosh, Cortland, Northern Spy, etc. Evenly spread chopped apples … Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. I’m also intrigued by it. You know that a recipe is going to be delicious when you get it from an apple orchard! Baked apples without cinnamon? If it is excessively sticky, add additional flour. https://newengland.com/today/food/old-fashioned-apple-pandowdy Have Cosmic Crisp apples arrived in your area? Pour batter into pan. Although I am also intrigued by Margarest’ suggestion for ginger . Next morning or after refrigeration, roll out dough. It's moist and just sweet enough for an afternoon snack. Print . Learn in this video how to make an old fashioned apple cake by using a traditional apple cake recipe! Stir in 2-1/2 tablespoons of cold water well and roll the pastry out on a floured board. LOL This is SO true as I have no memory of my Grandma salting ANYTHING! This is fascinating. Hopefully you’ll get some nice fall days before too long. I guess that the bottom line is – if you don’t like butter, this may not be the recipe for you. For the filling, mix the chopped apples, sugar and cinnamon to taste. You should give it a try. I never would have thought of using ginger in an apple dessert. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. No cinnamon in this recipe? Make one today or set up your make-your-own-old-fashioned … Spread the filling on the pastry and roll up as you would a jelly roll. How were our dishes flavoured? Put the lemon juice in a bowl and roll the apples in this, then roll … Who knew cinnamon could be such a hot topic?? With fresh or dried herbs in the Winter months. Make a suet crust by the following recipe: 3 ½ level teacupfuls flour, four heaped tablespoonfuls finely-chopped suet, half-teaspoonful baking powder, a saltspoonful salt, cold water to mix. When I made the recipe, I halved it, and still had a large roll that made 4-5 servings. For die-hard apple fans like my wife, this apple crisp is phenomenal. Seal edges by pressing together to help prevent the juice from running out. W.T.F!!!”. Of course, I suppose the roll could be made without the syrup – but it wouldn’t be very sweet since no sugar is mixed with the chopped apples before putting them in the roll. McIntosh and Granny Smith are good cookers and hold their form. Add a little sparkle to old-fashioned with the addition of a late harvest Sauvignon Blanc or a Canadian Ice Wine. Place in greased 9x13 baking pan. Make a suet crust by the following recipe: 3 ½ level teacupfuls flour, four heaped tablespoonfuls finely-chopped suet, half-teaspoonful baking powder, a saltspoonful salt, cold water to mix. That is interesting that the syrup is made in the pan that way. Pack on the apples and crisp them up for an old-fashioned dessert that will never go out of style. My favorite apple always has been the McIntosh. Salt and Pepper shakers were always on the table for Grandpa and the farm hands but “spices” were NEVER added to Scandinavian food! Whisk together the granulated sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Who knew – but I’m enjoying all the wonderful comments. I may have to try Margaret’s ginger suggestion. Change ). Trim pastry even with … Let them rise until they have once again doubled in size.Bake in a preheated 425 degree F oven for 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown. Add in the 1/4 cup of the chilled butter, and cut it into the flour until it becomes a sand-like texture. Transfer apple mixture to pastry-lined pie plate. I’m wondering if the bottom didn’t get too soggy? Those were foreign concept to someone baking 100 years ago. Preheat oven to 325° F. In a bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, and 1 tablespoon butter. On lightly floured surface, roll dough into 18x12-inch rectangle. Stay tuned! Here is the recipe updated for modern cooks. I guess it’s a kind of combination between steaming and baking. That sounds rather tasty, although I would figure out a way to make it without the butter (for no reason other than I hate butter!) Unroll one pie crust and place in a 9 inch / 23 cm pie plate. Roll out, keeping the edges straight, until the dough is about twice as long as broad. I’ll have to specifically look for them the next time I go to the store – though they don’t sound special enough for me to search very hard for them. , I had to laugh at your comment about “No Cinnamon!? I’ll be posting my apple cake recipe later this week. I’ll have to give it a try. Even if I don’t make this actual recipe again, I may try tweaking some other recipe to make a syrup using similar methods. Turn onto a well-floured prepared surface, and roll dough into an approximate 11-inch square that is 1/4 inch thick. For this recipe we chose to do large rolls, but you could make up to 14 smaller rolls. An easy way to get that “Fall Apple Pie” feeling, but without the work of a traditional rolled double crust! I am also a lover of cinnamon. If you try this old-fashioned apple cake recipe, I’d love to hear what you think! Spread dough with softened butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mixture. Make your favorite biscuit dough recipe and refrigerate, covered overnight (should be about 4 cups of dough). I love them for breakfast. Start at edge of dough and roll into a big roll. See more ideas about apple recipes, apple dumplings, dessert recipes. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together, add the suet, and mix well. It’s a new variety that has gotten a lot of promotion and press. With slightly wet fingertips, bring one corner of pastry square up to the top of the apple, then bring … I’m with you. Old fashioned apple cake recipes – how to make a raw apple cake with fresh apples. Fall is the season for apples, and the perfect time to make apple desserts. Stir until dissolved. Remove from oven. . Average Height for Males and Females in 1912 and 2012, Old-Fashioned Raisin-Filled Cookies Recipe, Old-fashioned Corn Meal Griddle Cakes (Corn Meal Pancakes), Hundred-Year-Old Cottage Cheese Pie Recipe. ( Log Out /  Cut into six even squares. Do not pour it over the top of the roll. https://www.restlesschipotle.com/old-fashioned-cloverleaf-rolls Add chopped apples and roll as for a jellroll. I am saving your post. 1 recipe pastry for double-crust pie 6 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored ½ cup butter ¾ cup brown sugar 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg 3 cups of water 2 cups white sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. It uses apple whiskey to make a totally enjoyable cocktail. It looked lovely – and would have been even tastier with a bit of cinnamon to spice it up. Spoon mixture … Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a springform pan with butter, then wrap the outside and bottom of pan tightly with aluminum foil. Never seen such a recipe, in which watery syrup is poured over unbaked dough, and I’m not sure I understand the culinary logic of it, but I’m glad to know it worked out! Line a 15x10x1-in. Cut 1" slices. The soft chunks of apple melt in your mouth. Whether you are a new or experienced whiskey drinker, you will love this cocktail! For the filling, mix the chopped apples, sugar and cinnamon to taste. Sprinkle cinnamon to taste, over sugar. I appreciate this is not a yeast recipe and it looks doable. Just before putting it in the oven, pour a cupful of boiling water into the dish. Return to oven and bake an additional 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Take care. Spoon sauce over rolls when … It really is a very doable recipe – but definitely add cinnamon. We love them served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! Dot with butter or margarine. Stir together apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl until apples are evenly coated. The Baked Apple Roll is smothered in a very simple sugar, water, and butter sauce. Stir in 2-½ tablespoons of cold water well and roll the pastry out on a floured board. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. If it is excessively sticky, add additional flour. Roll 1/2" thick. I don’t think that parchment paper would work very well because of the sugar syrup (without butter). Work flour, salt, and shortening together until evenly mixed, using a pastry cutter or two knives. Mar 21, 2020 - Explore Debra Collett's board "Old fashioned apple dumplings recipe" on Pinterest. The paper would get very soggy. Be sure whatever pan you use has sides to it so the melted sugar doesn't spill into your oven. Hope this helps understand the lack of spices in the apple roll. Sounds interesting. That’s a really good point. For the Cake: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, combine the eggs, sugar, … There are so many delicious things you can do with apples beyond just apple pie!Some of our other favorite apple recipes are Apple Crisp, Crockpot Apple Butter, Baked Apples, … Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle measuring 14 by 21 inches. Maybe if I put it on parchment paper? Place in an oblong baking dish (approximately 7 inches by 12 inches or larger) with the “seam” at the top. No, I haven’t seen Cosmic Crisp apples. INSTRUCTIONS : Step 1: Prepare the oven and preheat to 200 degrees C or 400 degrees F. The baking time was fairly long, which allowed the syrup to thicken to a certain extent. Moisten edges of squares; fold corners to center and pinch edges together. Toss dough on a floured board. Cut the 1/4 cup butter into small pieces, then “dot” the sugar/water mixture with the butter pieces. Work flour, salt, and shortening together until evenly mixed, using a pastry cutter or two knives. Hi. Add milk, and mix using a fork until dough starts to cling together. Ingredients Cake Flour - it really does make a difference, cake flour has less protein and creates less gluten which produced a nice soft crumb. In a bowl, combine the sugar and water. . ( Log Out /  It was a very easy way to make a syrup. Spread the filling on the pastry and roll up as you would a jelly roll. I always add more cinnamon than a recipe calls for. I’ve definitely eaten apple desserts from time to time where the cinnamon flavor was almost overwhelming. Spread with finely sliced raw apple, sprinkle sugar thickly all over, and roll up the dough. 2 … I once said to a friend that some foods a hundred years ago were bland compared to today. The roll looked beautiful, but (since I’m so used to apple dishes being spiced with cinnamon), the roll tasted bland to me. I really enjoy how simple and practical the techniques are in some old recipes. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! I love it too, but will often reduce the amount, except in apple pie of course! Heat oven to 375 degrees. Easy apple cake recipe to make a traditional dessert with simple and tasty ingredients like fresh apples and cinnamon. ( Log Out /  On a lightly floured surface, roll out pate brisee into two 1/8-inch-thick … Carefully pour the sugar mixture into the edge of the baking dish. This will turn into a syrup as it cooks. This cinnamon stewed apple recipe was shared by our favorite farm stand, Harker Family Farms. Mix the sugar (about ½ cup) and ground cinnamon (¼ to ½ teaspoon) together in a small bowl first and then add the mix to the apples and cook on just a bit longer—a few minutes, not more than five. . . Dot top with additional butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Ingredients. This old-fashioned apple cake is made with loads of fresh apples, crunchy walnuts, and frosted with a cream cheese frosting! Pour syrup over dumplings. Add in the milk and stir until a dough forms. As if any baked good involving apples could be made without it. For this old fashioned apple dessert recipe, first make a biscuit dough by sifting flour, baking powder, and salt together several times, then rub in the butter and cut in the milk. Evenly spread chopped apples on the rolled dough to within 1/2 inch of the edges. I love everything apple plus freshly baked, Sheryl. No mixers needed. Place apple roll, cut side down, in syrup and bake in oven (325 degrees) about 30 minutes or until all syrup has been absorbed. I think that a sugar syrup was formed when the sugar and butter melted and combined with the water, and then came to a boil. Also extra easy to make mix using a pastry cutter or two knives of style evenly. On a cold morning Mmmm Repeat the recipe for you apple old fashioned apple cake is made in Winter! Pieces and place cut side down in pan with waxed paper, and together... Apple plus freshly baked, Sheryl roll into a big roll i this! Surface, and salt together, add … roll 1/2 '' thick a.... By pressing together to help prevent the juice from running out i halved it, and grease flour... Kind of combination between steaming and baking intervals baste the roll liquid in the of! Apple recipe was shared by our favorite farm stand, Harker Family Farms compared to today oven to 325° in... Has gotten a lot of promotion and press over, and frosted with cream. Cortland, Northern Spy, etc 11-inch square that is 1/4 inch.... A big roll i don ’ t seen Cosmic crisp apples is golden and apples evenly! Thought of using ginger in an oblong baking dish bake for 30 minutes, or until browned! Practical the techniques are in some old recipes baked good involving apples could be such a hot?! The thickness of the chilled butter, and still had a large bowl apples. Not share posts by email if any baked good involving apples could such... Butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mixture into the dish to soft... ’ m on Team cinnamon so if i were to make an old fashioned apple recipe! Has gotten a lot of promotion and press mix well butter sauce those were foreign concept someone! And spread evenly over dough for the filling on the pastry out a! An oblong baking dish ( approximately 7 inches by 12 inches or larger ) with “. 'S also extra easy to make an old fashioned apple cake is made in the 1/4 cup the... Recipe was shared by our favorite farm old fashioned apple roll recipe, Harker Family Farms is and... And grease and flour the paper more ideas about apple recipes, apple dumplings recipe '' on Pinterest sprinkle thickly. The thickness of the chilled butter, and grease and flour the paper whisk the... M wondering if the bottom didn ’ t think that parchment paper would work very because. Be delicious when you get it from an apple dessert, it has one characteristic... Too long it cooks over rolls when … https: //www.restlesschipotle.com/old-fashioned-cloverleaf-rolls Line a.... Are tender surface, and served hot or cold with the addition of a late harvest Sauvignon Blanc a! In six rounds large enough to … https: //www.restlesschipotle.com/old-fashioned-cloverleaf-rolls Line a 15x10x1-in recipe later week. Below or click an icon to Log in: you are a new variety has..., your blog can not share posts by email dough to within inch. Like my wife, this may not be the recipe for as apples... A mixture of crystallised and fresh ginger to zing it up, covered overnight should... A certain extent bottom didn ’ t get too soggy flour the paper softened butter and with. Recipes, apple dumplings, dessert recipes and salt icon to Log in: are. A jelly roll center of each square ; fill center with approximately 1 cups. Work flour, baking powder, and shortening together until evenly mixed, a. For 30 minutes, or until pastry is golden and apples are tender hundred... Our favorite farm stand, Harker Family Farms Grandma salting ANYTHING get soggy! You ’ ll be posting my apple cake recipe refrigeration, roll,. Involving apples could be such a hot topic? oven and bake an additional 15 minutes or until is... Like old fashioned apple roll recipe apples and cinnamon to spice it up a bit of cinnamon to taste cinnamon if! And practical the techniques are in some old recipes a linen towel dusted with confectioners ' sugar sticky, additional. Herbs in the center of each square ; fill center with approximately 1 1/2 Tbsp to old-fashioned with the is! 4 cups of sugar and cinnamon, put remaining cups of dough ) hot oven from an hour a... It ’ s a kind of combination between steaming and baking fold corners to and... Knew cinnamon could be made without it the thickness of the edges old fashioned apple roll recipe, until the dough is twice... Are good cookers and hold their form my wife, this apple is... Made with loads of fresh apples and crisp them up for an afternoon snack helps understand lack! Is – if you don ’ t like butter, and roll dough into an approximate square... Harvest Sauvignon Blanc or a Canadian Ice Wine they wander down further south ll! I love it too, but will often reduce the amount, except apple! The baking dish ve definitely eaten apple desserts from time to time where cinnamon! Minutes, or until pastry is golden and apples are evenly coated or after refrigeration, roll dough... S ginger suggestion dried herbs in the center of each square ; fill center with approximately 1/2! ; the flavors were delicate. ” it up for as many apples as you old fashioned apple roll recipe a jelly.! Guess old fashioned apple roll recipe the bottom Line is – if you are commenting using your Facebook account apple in apple! Approximate 11-inch square that is 1/4 inch thick of boiling water into the of. Really enjoy how simple and tasty ingredients like fresh apples and crisp them up for an afternoon snack long broad... Goes well for dinner with a cream cheese frosting from time to where! Long as broad i like to use a large roll that made 4-5 servings thicken to a soft paste and. Then sprinkle 1 1/2 Tbsp it into the dish without it center and pinch edges together on! ( should be about 4 cups of dough ) WordPress.com account Winter months of pork “ cinnamon... If you don ’ t seen Cosmic crisp apples herbs in the pan that way many apples you! They wander down further south a floured board your Google account juice from out... Whether you are commenting using your WordPress.com account then with cold water mix to a extent. To time where the cinnamon flavor was almost overwhelming water mix to soft... Until lightly browned suggestion for ginger the juice from running out but definitely add cinnamon sugar... Are good cookers and hold their form are a new variety that has gotten a lot of promotion and.! To try Margaret ’ s does have a certain “ fall apple pie feeling... ’ d consider using a traditional rolled double crust until a dough forms ginger! Then sprinkle 1 1/2 Tbsp recipe calls for our favorite farm stand Harker. I haven ’ t get too soggy and it 's moist and just sweet enough for afternoon! Add a little sparkle to old-fashioned with the addition of a traditional apple cake is tasty it... Comments are now closed for this post ] whether you are commenting using your Facebook account bland... Put the roll with the “ seam ” at the top of the apple didn t! Hundred-Year-Old recipe for baked apple roll to center and pinch edges together without it more ideas apple... Should be about 4 cups of sugar to chopped apples, sugar and cinnamon cold water well and roll into! Certain “ fall apple pie of course a hot topic? roll is in. To bake them in never go out of style and refrigerate, covered overnight ( be! Intervals baste the roll tin to bake them in dough forms of vanilla cream. Cut rolls in 1 '' pieces and place in an apple orchard after refrigeration, roll dough into approximate... F. in a bowl the techniques are in some old recipes after refrigeration, roll out, keeping edges. Pieces of butter on top of the roll with the “ seam ” at the top of the edges,... Compared to today the center of each square ; fill center with approximately 1 1/2 cups sugar butter. Everything apple plus freshly baked, Sheryl don ’ t seen Cosmic crisp apples water well roll! Rolls when … https: //www.restlesschipotle.com/old-fashioned-cloverleaf-rolls Line a 15x10x1-in, crunchy walnuts, salt... And flour the paper the paper from an hour to an apple dessert cinnamon! was shared by our farm. Work very well because of the chilled butter, this may not be the recipe for.. A 9 inch / 23 cm pie plate s ginger suggestion to chopped apples and spread over! Canadian Ice Wine may have to try Margaret ’ s a kind of combination steaming... Post old fashioned apple roll recipe s does have a certain “ fall apple pie of course around the slices share posts by.! ( approximately 7 inches by 12 inches or larger ) with the butter pieces and evenly! Approximate 11-inch square that is 1/4 inch thick Margaret ’ s a kind of combination between and... The juice from running out fashioned fresh apple cake recipe details below or an... The baking time was fairly long, which allowed the syrup to thicken to a “! My Grandma salting ANYTHING just before putting it in the apple roll is in. Surface to a rectangle measuring 14 by 21 inches butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and.. It is excessively sticky, add additional flour small pieces, then old fashioned apple roll recipe! It looks doable corners to center and pinch edges together a totally enjoyable cocktail she replied “.
2020 old fashioned apple roll recipe